Tuesday, June 22, 2010

English Update

I would like a reboot button for the kids. One that would allow me to undo any language choices we have made and automatically update them with choices that are kinder to my ears!
My current challenges...
Removing, "WHAT?" as the response we use when we didn't hear or understand something. It can sound so aggressive and almost mean at times. We are trying to replace it with, "Pardon?" I know this is going to take some time. Recent bit of conversation:
I said something Katie didn't hear.
Katie quietly responded, "Pardon me?"
I didn't hear her and responded, "WHAT?"
Grrrr... Ruining my own lesson. :)
I am also working on properly conjugating lay and lie all of the time myself. Once I master that one I will pass the lesson along to the little ones.
I am so much more aware of my own grammar mishaps when I hear them parroted back at me many times a day. To think I have been making these mistakes for 35 years and no one has corrected me. YIKES!

1 comment:

  1. Can't stand it when I ruin lessons of my own! But it made me laugh to read about you doing the same. Aren't you constantly grateful that you can pretty much bank on the fact that they won't remember any of the blunders we make w/ regard to them before 5 years of age? I mean really...do you remember more than 5 specific things from when YOU were five? I don't. However, it is about that time...memories will be fairly solid from here on out....aaaahhh!

    ReplyDelete